[tor-dev] Naming Systems wiki page

Jesse V kernelcorn at torproject.org
Tue Sep 27 12:48:14 UTC 2016

On 09/27/2016 02:27 AM, Jeremy Rand wrote:
> Hello!  I just had a chance to look through the latest state of the wiki
> page (thanks to everyone who's been expanding it).  I've added several
> items to the security properties and drawbacks sections of Namecoin, and
> made a few trivial corrections; hopefully none of them are
> controversial.  (If anyone thinks I made a mistake, please let me know.)
>
> I notice that kernelcorn added an item to the "drawbacks" section of
> Namecoin, which says "Hard to authenticate names."  It's not entirely
> clear to me what is meant by this item, so it's hard for me to evaluate
> its accuracy.
>
> Any chance Jesse could elaborate on this?

My mistake. I was thinking about authenticating the RSA keys with
Namecoin's ECC keys, but after further thought this is not a proper
criticism so I have removed it.

Since you're checking factual accuracy of the items in the wiki, you can
find the OnioNS pre-print here:
https://github.com/Jesse-V/OnioNS-literature/raw/master/conference/conference.pdf

> PS: Happy to see that OnioNS is still being worked on -- I think it's
> great to have more of the solution space explored and more options
> available, regardless of the fact that OnioNS and Namecoin could be
> considered competitors.  We're all in this together, and I'd love to see
> both OnioNS and Namecoin succeed.  :)

Namecoin is the closest competitor. They are very different designs of
course. In any event, naming systems should become more desirable once
proposal 224 is deployed.

I'm also competing with OnionBalance now since OnioNS supports basic
load-balancing at the name level. :)

--
Jesse