[tor-dev] Tor Browser downloads and updates graphs

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Sep 19 09:58:05 UTC 2016

On 17/09/16 17:52, Lunar wrote:
> Karsten Loesing:
>> On 11/09/16 18:13, Georg Koppen wrote:
>>> Here are the graphs showing initial downloads, update pings and
>>>  update requests over time:
>>
>>> https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/torbrowser-annotated-2016-09-11.pdf

Here's

>> the same graph with more data, more request types, and of course
>> a lot more shininess:
>>
>> https://tor-metrics.shinyapps.io/webstats/

This is now updated with more data and a lot more text.  Enjoy!

>> Note that this is just a prototype that will go away in the
>> future without notice.  But if enough people like it we might run
>> our own Shiny Server at some point in the future.  Enjoy!  (And
>> thanks, Isabela, for suggesting Shiny!)
>
> If you feel that's interesting enough, would it be possible to
> also add the number of download of cryptographic signatures to the
> graph?

Sure, added.

> I also would love to see a breakdown by operating systems if you
> consider it a reasonable thing to do.

That is something I'd like to add very soon, but I'd first want to
discuss whether the absolute numbers make sense before breaking them
down by operating system, release channel, and locale.

I'll bring the database with me to Seattle.  Maybe we can sit down and
run some queries on it together?  This was fun last weekend together
with Georg and Nicolas, and it would for sure be fun with you and
other interested folks in Seattle.

> Seeing these graphs really made my day, I had been hoping for them
> for a long time (#10675 which maybe should be closed). Thanks a
> lot!

Oh, interesting.  Maybe we can learn something from that ticket, too.
 Let's not close it just yet.

> Thanks,

All the best,
Karsten