[tor-dev] Tor path selection upon failure

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:42:51 UTC 2016

> On 14 Sep 2016, at 07:28, Liu, Zhuotao <zliu48 at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> There have been some technical reports about how to deal with the problem when a botnet uses Tor as its primary C&C channel. In this case, the CPU of some relays is exhausted, causing circuit creation failure.
>
> I am wondering currently how a client reacts when its circuit creation fails? Does the client simply resends create cells to the relays on the original path or it will re-select a new path instead?

I think the Tor client selects a new path, with a new Exit, HSDir, Intro Point, or Rendezvous Point (within various constraints).
In the Exit case, it will try 3 different paths to 3 Exit relays that claim to allow exiting to the port it wants, then return a failure to the application that made the request.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n