[tor-dev] "old style" hidden services after Prop224

Razvan Dragomirescu razvan.dragomirescu at veri.fi
Tue Sep 13 12:21:36 UTC 2016

Hello Ivan,

Breaking existing (possibly automated) systems is a _very good reason_ IMHO
:). Sure, warn the operators that they're using a legacy system, deprecate
the option but don't disable it.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/18054 sounds like a pretty
sane solution btw.

Even if it's no longer officially supported, I think OnionCat in its
current incarnation is a great proof of what could be done with the Tor
network, other than privacy protection. I actually have this listed on one
of my slides for SIM4Things - it's good for the Tor network, shows it can
be used for a variety of things while putting very little stress on the
network components. Very little traffic, potentially large PR impact (in a
good way :) ).

Razvan