[tor-dev] Tor Browser downloads and updates graphs

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Mon Sep 12 15:51:31 UTC 2016

On 9/12/16 11:20 AM, David Fifield wrote:
> Oh, thanks for finding that source code link. I looked for that code and
> didn't find it.
>
> But that's exactly what I'm saying: once someone has downloaded an
> update, they stop sending update pings until their next restart, which
> might explain the decreases in update pings at (8) and (9) in the graphs.

Ah, right. Sorry for my confusion.
So, yes, your theory really is a good one, although it is surprising
that months later the update ping count did not return to its older
value, e.g., the March counts are significantly higher than August ones.
Maybe our usage is dropping.

If we think the restart delay is a bad thing, we could be more
aggressive about encouraging people to restart and apply updates.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent