[tor-dev] Tor Browser downloads and updates graphs

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Sun Sep 11 19:45:56 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 04:13:00PM +0000, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Here are the graphs showing initial downloads, update pings and update
> requests over time:
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/torbrowser-annotated-2016-09-11.pdf
>
> The update pings are made by Tor Browser instances roughly twice a day
> and they indicate the number of active Tor Browser users. More
> importantly, one can see the decrease or increase of Tor Browser usage
> over time.
>
> * We don't know what (8) or (9) is but it seems to us we are losing
> users over time and are only getting them back slowly if at all. A
> weekday/weekend pattern is visible there as well.

Does Tor Browser continue checking for further updates in the span of
time between when it downloads an update and when it is restarted? For
example, you are running 6.0, the browser downloads the 6.0.1 update and
stages it and asks you to restart; does the browser check for updates
until you actually restart? If not, then the decreases in update pings
might be people being tardy in restarting their browser.