[tor-dev] Dirauth setting for PathsNeededToBuildCircuits

Jesse V kernelcorn at riseup.net
Thu Sep 8 23:35:20 UTC 2016

Tor clients can only build circuits once they know enough about the
network. This "know enough" threshold is determined by the
PathsNeededToBuildCircuits setting. From reading Tor's manual, it seems
that a setting of X tells Tor clients to wait until they have enough
descriptors/microdescriptors such that they have X percentage of
consensus weight. By default PathsNeededToBuildCircuits is determined by
the directory authorities.

I'm curious, how is PathsNeededToBuildCircuits set? I don't see that
value in the microdescriptor documents, it doesn't seem to be documented
in tor-spec, and I don't see much about it online, but maybe I missed
something. What is the typical value? I see that 0.95 is the cutoff, but
how high will prevent a client from bootstrapping?

--
Jesse V