[tor-dev] Call for help on testing core tor releases

Vinícius Zavam egypcio at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:42:11 UTC 2016

>> On 14 Oct 2016, at 08:03, blacklight . <pandakaasftw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would love to help, but can you also volunteer when cannot give ALL the
>> feedback?
>
>> On 14 Oct 2016, at 11:30, ng0 <ng0 at we.make.ritual.n0.is> wrote:
>>
>> Do all these task have to apply to make the test valid/useful for you?
>> On one of my test systems - I contribute to Guix - there is no chance of
>> a (system-specific, unofficial) torbrowser build so far (but I/we keep
>> looking into this).
>> So long story short, I can run tests on some amd64_x86 based
>> gnu-systems, but on one of them I need to exclude torbrowser.
>
> We only do source releases for tor alphas and release candidates.
> (Except for Debian, which has experimental alphas built nightly.)
>
> So you must build tor from source in order to run the tests.
>
> All the other tests are optional, but the more you can do, the better!
>
> If you can't build tor from source, you can still help by giving us
> feedback
> on the Tor Browser alpha series, or the Tor Expert Bundles on Windows.

> --
> Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

quick and dirty feedback; 6 relays running well 0.3.0.0-alpha-dev
(>=git-d1bcba19a9790a37) for quite a while (3 in dual stack). 4freebsd
and 2netbsd machines. 5static binary, 1shared (freebsd 10.3-R-p7,
i386).

every single relay that now is running -dev was running 0.2.9.4-alpha
since its release date (or one/two days after it was available on your
distfiles/archives ftp). I was following the releases available on the
ftp, not ports/pkg/pkgsrc/pkgin/... *EXCEPT* for one machine that runs
freebsd10.3r-p7 (i386); it was working good with 0.2.9.2-alpha only
(again, with shared libs).

sorry for not providing proper feedback or patch on Tor's trac. I plan
to do that ASAP.

PS: http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/tor-bsd/2016-October/000467.html
might be interesting for those running Tor (security/tor-devel) with
FreeBSD. ty.

--
Vinícius Zavam
keybase.io/egypcio/key.asc