[tor-dev] Tor Relays on Whonix Gateway

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Thu Oct 20 01:13:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 10:35:16PM +0200, bancfc at openmailbox.org wrote:
> On 2016-10-17 10:24, isis agora lovecruft wrote:
> >
> > You're planning to enable "ServerTransportPlugin snowflake" on Whonix
> > Gateways
> > by default?  And then "ClientTransportPluging snowflake" on workstations
> > behind the gateway?
>
> I was planning to enable the server by default (I thought WebRTC was P2P
> though) but after looking at it some more I don't think it's a good idea.

It doesn't make sense to run the Snowflake server on a lot of bridges
anyway. It's not like the obfs* model where you need lots of bridges in
order to get IP diversity. Snowflake gets IP diversity by routing
through web browsers. The bridge itself may even be blocked by the
censor; it doesn't matter.

The server component of Snowflake isn't even WebRTC. Snowflake is WebRTC
between the client and the browser proxy, then WebSocket (which is
easier to program) between the browser proxy and the bridge. The server
component is actually just a WebSocket server, borrowed from flash
proxy.