[tor-dev] Call for help on testing core tor releases

ng0 ng0 at we.make.ritual.n0.is
Fri Oct 14 00:30:18 UTC 2016

isabela at riseup.net writes:

> Hello Tor community!
>
> The Core Tor Team would like to improve our release process by getting
> it more tested so bugs are found earlier, so stable releases can get out
> faster and without any big bugs.
>
> During Tor's Meeting in Seattle a couple of weeks ago, we discussed this
> topic and decided to organize a QA team (with the help of the community)
> for core tor.
>
> So we decided to make a call for volunteers to help us with testing our
> 0.2.9 release so we can catch bugs asap. We are planning on freezing our
> alpha release this Monday, October 17th, the test period is from 17-31
> of October. [release calendar:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam#Releases
> ]
>

> What we are asking volunteers:
>
>   * Validate release signature/checksum
>
>   * Does it build with _no_ Warnings?
>
>   * Does "make test" pass?
>
>   * Does "make test-network-all" pass? (you'll need chutney for this -
> chutney does not work on Windows)
>
>   * Does it work as a client? As a relay?  As a hidden service ?
>
>   * Does it work if you drop the binary into (eg) torpbrowser?

Do all these task have to apply to make the test valid/useful for you?
On one of my test systems - I contribute to Guix - there is no chance of
a (system-specific, unofficial) torbrowser build so far (but I/we keep
looking into this).
So long story short, I can run tests on some amd64_x86 based
gnu-systems, but on one of them I need to exclude torbrowser.

> Please let us know if you have any questions about this - and thank you
> in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Isabela / on behalf of core tor
>
> ps: email from Nick on 0.2.9 freeze dates if you miss it
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-October/011513.html

ng0