[tor-dev] Proposal 274: A Name System API for Tor Onion Services

Jesse V kernelcorn at torproject.org
Sat Oct 8 19:32:40 UTC 2016

On 10/08/2016 08:50 AM, 61wxgp60 at vfemail.net wrote:
> How about specifying whether the Namecoin domain should point to .onion
> or clearnet in the domain?  We can require that TLDs for such service
> must end in either:
>
> o o: The name points to a .onion name.
>
> o i: The name points to an IP address.
>
> o a: The name points to a clearnet domain name.
>
> So example.zkeyo points to 66tluooeeyni5x6y.onion.  example.zkeyi
> points to 192.0.2.1 or (and?) 2001:db8::1.  example.zkeya points to
> example.com.

I don't think this is in scope of a naming system API. The naming system
probably has its own rules and users should be aware of those rules when
they use the naming system. For example, the Onion Name System (OnioNS)
will likely use ".tor" and I enforce that names must point to either
".tor" or ".onion", thus keeping it all internal. During my trial tests
today, the client code followed a chain until ".onion".

This is an API for onion services, so it doesn't make sense to handle
clearnet TLDs. There are other and easier ways of doing that, such as
alternative DNS roots.

--
Jesse