[tor-dev] Joining Tor Project's software infrastructure

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue Oct 4 19:54:55 UTC 2016

Jesse V <kernelcorn at torproject.org> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Hey everyone,
>
> Although it hasn't been obvious, I actually have been making some
> serious progress on my Onion Name System (OnioNS) project. The paper was
> accepted into PoPETS, the design is finally stable, and the software is
> looking really promising, although not yet ready for use. I've focused
> on improving the maturity of the software and set up the following:
>
> * PGP-signed commits using my torproject identity
> * Continuous integration via Travis CI
> * Use clang-analyzer and cppcheck static analysis scanners
> * Automated enforcement of code styling via clang-format
> * Inclusion of a manpage and command-line help menu
> * Packaging for Debian (Wheezy+) on my own machine
> * Automated building for Ubuntu (14.04+) on Launchpad
> * Protection against memory leaks and buffer overflows
> * Software is split to minimize installation footprint
> * Use of CMake, which should help the port to Windows
> * No RPATH hacks
> * Support for release and debug builds
> * Support for Clang and GCC; all warnings enabled for debug
> * No reliance on OpenSSL (CVE-2016-6309, are you serious?!)
> * Use of well-maintained libraries for networking and parsing
> * Minimal dependencies: Botan, JsonCpp, libcurl, libmicrohttpd
> * Non-native dependencies included as git submodules
>
> At this point, I am interested in taking the next step and try to
> integrate with the Tor Project infrastructure. I am looking for
> information on the following:
>
> 1) How do I upload packages to deb.torproject.org?
> 2) How do I join Gitian to generate reproducible builds?
> 3) How do I set up an Onion Name System component in Trac so that I can
> migrate bug tracking from Github to Trac?
> 4) How do I set up a repository on gitweb.torproject.org? I'm more
> comfortable using Github, but there's no need to centralize git.
>
> I have a LDAP account, which should help with some of these. I wasn't
> able to find much useful documentation on these topics, so I would
> appreciate some help. Also, if anyone has any experience with RPM
> packaging, I would like to figure that out. I haven't had too much luck
> with Alien.
>
> As I approach a proper release, my overall goal is to improve the
> maturity, trust, usability of the OnioNS software. Please let me know
> how I can accomplish the above tasks.

Hello Jesse,

glad to hear you are still working on the OnioNS project, and happy to
hear that the paper got accepted in PoPETS. We have great plans for
hidden service naming layers, and it's great to see more people working
on this topic. Thanks for updating the wiki as well.

FWIW, I feel that using Github (or any other third-party git) for code
hosting and ticket tracking is fine for now. If you still want a
personal repository on gitweb, check out these docs:
https://help.torproject.org/tsa/

I'm also not sure what's the exact policy on gitian and
deb.torproject.org, and whether third-party applications (like OnioNS)
can be placed there.

Personally, I'm hesitant of giving the impression that Tor officially
supports any of the proposed naming systems so early. I'd feel more
confident about them after they get deployed and used by the wider
community.

On this topic, what's your deployment strategy? If you really really
need Tor project infrastructure to achieve it, let's talk about it.

BTW, monitor this list, there will soon be a proposal specifying a Tor
API for naming systems like OnioNS, similar to the one we have for
pluggable transports.

Cheers!