[tor-dev] Shor's Algorithm meets Lattices

bancfc at openmailbox.org bancfc at openmailbox.org
Sat Nov 26 19:22:14 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-26 18:36, Jesse V wrote:
> On 11/26/2016 07:50 AM, bancfc at openmailbox.org wrote:
>>
>> While an error in the calculations has been pointed out and the paper
>> will be withdrawn, this isn't reassuring since a revised version where
>> this still holds is probable.
>
> Where was this discussed or announced? I'm curious what the issue was.
> It will be very groundbreaking if Eldar and Shor can fix it.

It seems the flaw found was fatal to the whole algorithm rather than a
minor error. Unfortunately no details were posted by the cryptographer
who found them - only a statement that lattice crypto was still safe:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=topic/cryptanalytic-algorithms/WNMuTfJuSRc#!topic/cryptanalytic-algorithms/WNMuTfJuSRc

" Dear all,

Yesterday Lior Eldar and I found a flaw in the algorithm proposed
in the arXiv preprint. I do not see how to salvage anything from
the algorithm. The security of lattice-based cryptography against
quantum attacks therefore remains intact and unchanged.

Regards,
    Oded "