[tor-dev] prop224: What should we do with torrc options?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 10:25:44 UTC 2016

> On 26 Nov. 2016, at 02:25, David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> wrote:
>

>>> 2) It also means we create an option that will get deprecated once v2 is
>>>  phased out so we are adding a "temporary" option for users to "keep
>>>  creating v2 addresses" but then will be useless and we'll deprecate and get
>>>  a whole lot confusing if for instance v4 or v5 happens in the next years
>>>  for X reasons (unlikely but not impossible).
>>
>> Not if we use the existing HiddenServiceVersion option for this.
>>
>> Here are the use cases for this option:
>> * a developer wants to test that their software works with V3 onion services,
>>  before the default is changed,
>> * a user wants to run their old software with V2 onion services, after the
>>  default is changed.
>
> Running v2 onion is fine, it's creating v2 onion that I don't want the user to
> control when that tor supports v3.

But what if I have a tor client that only supports v2 onion services,
(because it has not been updated yet, or is not maintained,)
and I want to use it with a version of tor that only supports v3
onion services? (because it has other security fixes I want)

I would prefer we release at least one version with v3 as the default,
but that will still create v2 if asked nicely.

(Alternately, we can tell people how to create v2 manually, or we can
tell people to keep their old version of tor and make it create v2.)

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org