[tor-dev] prop224: What should we do with torrc options?

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Nov 24 00:05:05 UTC 2016

teor wrote:
> No-one is proposing we abolish ADD_ONION with v2 services straight away.
>
> What we will do is make BEST mean v3, rather than v2.
> RSA1024 will continue to mean v2, as it always has.
>
> ADD_ONION has always had an explicit BEST option, if clients don't want
> the BEST type of key, they should ask for a specific type they are
> prepared to handle.
>
> Please read the appropriate control spec section:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/control-spec.txt#n1446
>
>> I don't think it's productive to ask users to already support a new
>> feature upon our first release providing the said feature.
>
> This isn't what is proposed.
>
> (We are going to stop automatically creating v2 services via
> HiddenServiceDir in the first v3 release, but there will always be the
> ability to manually create a key. And that's a separate conversation.)

Hey, I apologize, my bad. I wasn't considering the options following
ADD_ONION, I thought it's straight forward. Sorry for this, my mistake.

Based on your explanation I agree with you and Yawning that
ADD_ONION:BEST should produce a v3 key, and ADD_ONION:RSA1024 v2.

>> To add some value on this point, I will bring into discussion a software
>> that is widely used, produces significant rendezvous traffic and is
>> important for some people:
>>
>> Bitcoin Core - latest versions detect if you use Tor and automatically
>> use ADD_ONION to create v2 services, and, important: it doesn't support
>> yet the v3 address types because of their length.
>
> Does it use ADD_ONION NEW:RSA1024 or ADD_ONION RSA1024:<String>?
>
> Then it will be fine.
>
> Does it use ADD_ONION NEW:BEST?
>
> Then that's a client bug, and it should be fixed in the client.

Hey:
        // Finally - now create the service
        if (private_key.empty()) // No private key, generate one
            private_key = "NEW:BEST";
        // Request hidden service, redirect port.
        // Note that the 'virtual' port doesn't have to be the same as
our internal port, but this is just a convenient
        // choice.  TODO; refactor the shutdown sequence some day.
        _conn.Command(strprintf("ADD_ONION %s Port=%i,127.0.0.1:%i",
private_key, GetListenPort(), GetListenPort()),
boost::bind(&TorController::add_onion_cb, this, _1, _2));

whooops ;) filing a ticket so everyone is on the same page with us.

Thanks.