[tor-dev] prop224: What should we do with torrc options?

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Wed Nov 23 22:00:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 03:12:22 +0400
meejah <meejah at meejah.ca> wrote:

> David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> writes:
>
> > 1) Once v3 is released, from that point on _no_ v2 service will be
> > allowed to be created by "tor" itself. It will always be possible
> > to do it by hand by creating an RSA key and putting it in the
> > service directory (see 3 below).
>
> +1 or +2 at least :)
>
> > Ok here it is. Please comment, improve, or propose! :)
>
> How does ADD_ONION fit in?

It's forward compatible by design, since you have to specify a key type
when you handle key management, and Tor gets to do whatever it wants if
you ask it to generate a key with the `BEST` algorithm.

Assuming people who use it aren't explicitly asking for RSA1024, their
apps will magically switch to using Ed25519 automagically one day, when
their tor is updated.

(People who expect `NEW:BEST` ADD_ONION-ed services to always give
 RSA1024 based HSes, should fix their code since the spec makes no
 guarantee that `BEST` will be RSA1024.)

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel