[tor-dev] Joining Tor Project's software infrastructure

Jesse V kernelcorn at torproject.org
Mon Nov 14 23:26:44 UTC 2016

On 11/14/2016 07:58 AM, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> If the software is stable, and reproducibly built, I would aim for placing
> it into the Debian archives. I maintain ooniprobe on deb.torproject.org, but
> primarily for Ubuntu users and I would prefer that Debian users are using
> the version from the Debian archive.
>
> One issue we run into is that in trying to support older distributions, we
> often then have to take on maintaining backports for various packages and in
> some cases this is a lot of overhead and careful version number management.
>
> If you wanted to set up your own Debian repository, that would also be an
> alternative solution for the short-term.

This is a really good point, thank you for your suggestion. I will
change my approach and set up a Debian repository that Debian and Ubuntu
users can use. I looked also into adding into Debian. How do you suggest
that I get started with this? It would be great if I could get it into
Debian 8 if possible.

--
Jesse