[tor-dev] Revisiting prop224 client authorization

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 23:40:35 UTC 2016

> On 3 Nov. 2016, at 10:37, s7r <s7r at sky-ip.org> wrote:
>
> I am very happy with the torspec patch.
>
> Not quoting entirely, only want to add something wrt randomizing the
> value for fake clients based on David's and teor's comments:
>
> David Goulet wrote:
> [SNIP]
>>
>> - I think "superencrypted" -> "super-encrypted" would be nicer as everything
>>  in the descriptor as that separation of word. Or even "client-encrypted" if
>>  we want to add extra semantic. No strong opinion apart from the "-" :).
>>

> I prefer super-encrypted vs. client-encrypted.
>
>> - [XXX consider randomization of the value 16]
>>
>>  If it's fixed, we basically create bucket so a client can know that there
>>  are 0-16 clients or 16-32 clients and so on.
>>
>>  If we randomize that value and let's say it's 7 then we have bucket of 7. If
>>  that value is randomized _every_ new descriptor, we create multiple size of
>>  buckets but over time someone could deduce (maybe) the low bound of clients
>>  by observing all random values and thus assume there are 0-<low bound>.
>>
>>  I'm uncertain here what's best but seems that in any case, bucketing is
>>  happening as we pad with fake "auth-client". So I would assume here, out of
>>  my head to be safe, that we might want _all_ services to kind of look the
>>  same thus a fixed value would make sense following that train of thought.
>>
>> I'm liking the rest here! We'll have to think also on some padding in the
>> INTRODUCE1 cell to avoid leaking client auth is being used.
>>

> This is true, we create buckets no matter what, but I think it's better
> if one has to watch a hidden service for a lot more time to determine
> the probable number rather than being able to tell from the first
> descriptor that there are 0-16 clients, 16-32 clients and so on.
>
> I fully agree that randomizing _every_ new descriptor does not help and
> probably in short time someone could deduce a possible number, but I am
> slightly uncomfortable with a global fixed value for this. One more
> idea, if it's not helpful we can just go ahead with a fixed value of 16.
>
> I think it's better if we pick a random number between 8 and 32 fake
> clients and remember the picked value so it will be used for every new
> descriptor until something in our setup changes or enough time has
> passed. In order to know when to reset it, we save it (in our state)
> along with:
> 1. The number of real authorized clients when the random value was picked.
> 2. Timestamp when the random value was picked + an end of life for the
> random value.
>
> We reset the random value of fake authorized clients and also its end of
> life when:
>
> a) number of real authorized clients in torrc changes from what we have
> in our state.
> b) end of life for the random value is reached. End of life will be
> timestamp + a random period between 30 and 90 days.
> [...]

If you want to do it this way, with noise and buckets, ask someone who is
good at differential privacy to do the numbers for you, rather than guessing.

You'll need to know the level of activity you want to hide.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org