[tor-dev] tor on GNU/Windows

Adam Shostack adam at shostack.org
Sat May 28 17:32:33 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 05:25:22PM +0000, Ivan Markin wrote:
| Ian Goldberg:
| > I had a crazy thought the other day: has anyone tried running the Linux
| > version of tor (client or node) on the new GNU/Windows (or whatever
| > they're officially calling their Linux compatability layer)?
|
| Just for the record, the name of the CL is
| "Windows Subsystem for Linux" or WSL. [1]

There has been a lot of discussion about the various elements of Windows 10
reporting back to the mothership, and the initial MS blog posts don't
discuss the overlap between the two.
(Eg,
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/04/22/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview/)

It would be helpful to see if a normal usermode binary can turn off
such reporting (my guess would be that it can't), and how that
reporting impacts Tor.

(Fun project, worth doing, just wanted to flag this as a task within
such a project.)

Adam