[tor-dev] adding smartcard support to Tor

Evan Margin twim at riseup.net
Mon May 23 20:25:05 UTC 2016

Hey Razvan and tor-dev@!

Razvan Dragomirescu:
> I wanted to revisit this subject and actually start writing some
> code, but it looks like Ivan Markin's GitHub account is gone,
> together with all the code there. Ivan, are your modifications to
> OnionBalance still available anywhere?

Thanks for your interest!

Yeap, GitHub told me someday that I'm blocked because of my
suspiciousness. Since then I moved my repos to a lil' cgit box that is
available over the onions [1].

So the code you're looking for is at `keycity` branch at [2]. Also you
need to fetch a pythonic package called `keycity` from [3]. Basically
`keycity` is a kind of abstraction to use keys from
keyfiles/smartcards/whatever in the same manner. It depends on `pyscard`
for SW codes handling and as a `pcscd` bindings. It also can use
`scdaemon` from GnuPG if you don't want to use `pcsc-lite` for some reason.

Please note that this version of OnionBalance uses different config
layout and other incompatibilities I can't recall. Also note that
despite the fact that smartcard support works fine for me it may not do
the same for you.
For me Python packaging is a total mess with TMF (Too Many Files) as
well as scripts/interpreter themselves. TMF makes everything to be
really slow on machines running from flash cards (USB sticks, or BBB,
Raspberry Pi, Soekris). This led me to develop `avant` [4][5] to which
I'm going to add smartcard support someday soon (when there will be free
software Go bindings for `pcsc-lite` that is not GPL'ed).
So I want to say that my OnionBalance fork is not maintained and will
not be. But I can help you out if you have troubles with crafting
the installation of it.

[1] http://hartwellnogoegst.onion/
[2] http://hartwellnogoegst.onion/onionbalance
[3] http://hartwellnogoegst.onion/keycity-py