[tor-dev] adding smartcard support to Tor

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Mon May 23 04:29:19 UTC 2016

This may be not quite what you want, but the Estonia E-resident card
supports basic crypto with the private key on the smart card---i.e.,
you have to physically have the card to be able to read the encrypted
mail.

There are probably more elegant solutions than plugging into the
Estonia E-resident framework, but you'll get press for using the
E-resident card---the Estonians always get happy when someone uses
their card for something novel.  Which might be a perk.

Note: I believe that, theoretically, yes, the Estonian government
could jot down your private key before it goes onto the card.  But
they are economically disincentivized from doing that.

-V