[tor-dev] estimating traffic/bandwidth needed to run a Tor node

Razvan Dragomirescu razvan.dragomirescu at veri.fi
Sun May 22 21:56:56 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm working on an Internet of Things project and Tor will be a part of it
(Hidden Services to be more precise). The nodes however may be battery
powered or have slow (or metered) Internet connectivity, so I'm trying to
estimate the traffic patterns for a fully functional Tor node. Has this
been measured at all? I mean how much traffic should I expect per
hour/day/month whatever in order to maintain a good "Tor citizen" node,
serving a very low traffic hidden service? I do remember reading something
about it needing 4MB per day or something like that, but I can't seem to
find that link or page anywhere now... :(.

Any hints on where to find this type of info (or maybe how to measure it
myself) would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Razvan

--