[tor-dev] Memory usage of Tor daemon

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:03:59 UTC 2016

> On 20 May 2016, at 11:59, Yawning Angel <yawning at schwanenlied.me> wrote:
>
> What's strange about it.  The client does the path selection.  To build
> a circuit, the client must know the public keys/ip/port for the entire
> path and the exit policy.

Clients could get away with only knowing the key fingerprints for relays in their paths, except for their Guards, which are the only relays they connect to directly. (This might mean a protocol redesign, because I think we send IP and port as well as fingerprint at the moment.)

There are probably other fields we could drop in the common case, if we really needed to.

But do we really need to?

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com