[tor-dev] [GSoC] Tails Server - status report

segfault segfault at riseup.net
Mon May 16 11:14:44 UTC 2016

I sent my first GSoC report only to tor-dev and forgot to send it to
tails-dev too. I quote it in full at the end of this mail.

sajolida:
> segfault:
>> this is the first status report on the Tails Server GSoC project. I
>> officially began working on it on April 25th, although I already did
>> some work in the weeks before.
>>
>> This is what I have done so far:
>>
>> * Updating the blueprint of the Tails Server [1]
>>
>> * Implementing two iterations of prototypes of the GUI. The most recent
>> one is available on gitlab [2].
>
> The first one was a really cool step to see something tangible and
> comment upon, I'm excited about testing the second one now!
>
>> * Discussing the design of the GUI on the Tails-UX mailing list [3][4]
>>
>> * I began implementing the CLI, the current code (not ready for review
>> yet) is also available on gitlab [2]
>>
>> Next I plan to continue the design of the GUI, after others commented on
>> the new prototype. There are still some features missing which I will
>> implement in time. In parallel I will continue implementing the CLI and
>> discussing the design decisions.
>
> Maybe the call for review for the CLI should be sent to
> tails-dev at boum.org instead of tails-ux at boum.org :P

I didn't send a call for review for the CLI yet. Actually I wrote that
it's not ready for review yet (see the quote above).

> By the way, maybe you should send you reports to tails-dev at boum.org
> also. We might be very few people from tails-dev at boum.org also following
> tor-dev@ closely.

Right. I said that I would do so previously and forgot.

> Also, just out of curiosity, when are you planning to work on "Design an
> extensible and robust format describing the services and how they
> integrate into Tails"?

I think this discussion has already started with anonym's mail [1]. I
discussed this further with him in XMPP because I had a different design
in mind but I think his is better, so I didn't write a mail about this
after the chat. I already started implementing and extending the design
(I think most shortcomings only become obvious during implementation).
Maybe I should send another mail about this.

[1] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2016-March/010506.html