[tor-dev] [GSoC] Tails Server - status report

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Sat May 14 13:52:23 UTC 2016

segfault:
> this is the first status report on the Tails Server GSoC project. I
> officially began working on it on April 25th, although I already did
> some work in the weeks before.
>
> This is what I have done so far:
>
> * Updating the blueprint of the Tails Server [1]
>
> * Implementing two iterations of prototypes of the GUI. The most recent
> one is available on gitlab [2].

The first one was a really cool step to see something tangible and
comment upon, I'm excited about testing the second one now!

> * Discussing the design of the GUI on the Tails-UX mailing list [3][4]
>
> * I began implementing the CLI, the current code (not ready for review
> yet) is also available on gitlab [2]
>
> Next I plan to continue the design of the GUI, after others commented on
> the new prototype. There are still some features missing which I will
> implement in time. In parallel I will continue implementing the CLI and
> discussing the design decisions.

Maybe the call for review for the CLI should be sent to
tails-dev at boum.org instead of tails-ux at boum.org :P

By the way, maybe you should send you reports to tails-dev at boum.org
also. We might be very few people from tails-dev at boum.org also following
tor-dev@ closely.

Also, just out of curiosity, when are you planning to work on "Design an
extensible and robust format describing the services and how they
integrate into Tails"?

This discussion should definitely happen on tails-dev and I expect it to
take quite a while. It's good that we started with the interface as it
brings up concrete user scenarios that will influence the implementation
and thus the format, but maybe you won't be able to jump straight from
the interface to writing the backend before the format is better defined.