[tor-dev] Directory authority of type bridge?

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:49:04 UTC 2016

> On 11 May 2016, at 12:38, Nicholas R. Parker (RIT Student) <nrp7859 at rit.edu> wrote:
>
> Hey again all, got another one for you.
> When we've started adding bridges to the network, they send a warning "Publishing server descriptor to directory authorities of type 'Bridge', but no authorities of that type listed!"
>
> Not sure how to have a directory authority as a bridge type given that if you set BridgeRelay 1 on an authority it drops the DirPort and just becomes a bridge relay.
>
> How does one list an authority as a bridge type?

Have you read the entries about bridge authorities in the tor manual page?
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en

GENERAL OPTIONS

       AlternateBridgeAuthority [nickname] [flags] address:port  fingerprint
           These options behave as DirAuthority, but they replace fewer of the
           default directory authorities. Using AlternateDirAuthority replaces
           the default Tor directory authorities, but leaves the default
           bridge authorities in place. Similarly, AlternateBridgeAuthority
           replaces the default bridge authority, but leaves the directory
           authorities alone.

DIRECTORY AUTHORITY SERVER OPTIONS

       BridgeAuthoritativeDir 0|1
           When this option is set in addition to AuthoritativeDirectory, Tor
           accepts and serves server descriptors, but it caches and serves the
           main networkstatus documents rather than generating its own.
           (Default: 0)

SERVER OPTIONS

       BridgeRelay 0|1
           Sets the relay to act as a "bridge" with respect to relaying
           connections from bridge users to the Tor network. It mainly causes
           Tor to publish a server descriptor to the bridge database, rather
           than to the public directory authorities.

CLIENT OPTIONS

       Bridge [transport] IP:ORPort [fingerprint]
           When set along with UseBridges, instructs Tor to use the relay at
           "IP:ORPort" as a "bridge" relaying into the Tor network. If
           "fingerprint" is provided (using the same format as for
           DirAuthority), we will verify that the relay running at that
           location has the right fingerprint. We also use fingerprint to look
           up the bridge descriptor at the bridge authority, if it's provided
           and if UpdateBridgesFromAuthority is set too.

           If "transport" is provided, and matches to a ClientTransportPlugin
           line, we use that pluggable transports proxy to transfer data to
           the bridge.

       UseBridges 0|1
           When set, Tor will fetch descriptors for each bridge listed in the
           "Bridge" config lines, and use these relays as both entry guards
           and directory guards. (Default: 0)

If you need more detail, I'd encourage you to read the other tor manual entires about Bridges, or feel free to ask questions about particular entries.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B