[tor-dev] Testing Network Node Availability

Xiaofan Li xli2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri May 6 19:10:15 UTC 2016

Thanks for the replies!

1. About the name:
Thanks for the headsup! We'll definitely pay attention to the trademark
rules when we publish our results. We are not planning to roll out our own
version of Tor. I think our most important goal is probably: demonstrate a
possibility of UDP-based protocol to solve some of TOR's hard performance
problems. And hope that you guys would consider using it in future
versions.
This leads me to a question about licensing: I believe TOR and QUIC have
different (conflicting) licenses. Would it even be a possibility that QUIC
ever makes it into TOR?

2. About our network config and clarification:

What do you mean by a "real network"?
> Do you mean a test network with your own authorities on non-localhost IP
> addresses?

Yes, our testing framework is using EmuLab with customized bandwidth,
latency, queue size and drop rate.
>From Tor's perspective, we are still using "TestingTorNetwork".

I also wonder why you need to use path restrictions at all.

3. For path restriction, we have our own implementation. We parse the
config file and use the nickname in choose_good_*() functions to return the
corresponding nodes. We have to use this because restricting the middle node*
is very important to us for testing HOL blocking problem.* (We have to
manually create 1-hop overlapping path for two clients and test the
interference.)

4. Regarding the issue, it's probably not entry guard problem, because: 1)
Shouldn't that give "failed to select hop 0" instead of hop 1? 2) I can see
in our debugging log that we failed on the extending info with the second
node. The node returned by choose_good_middle_server is not NULL but the
routerinfo_t pointer is NULL. Any idea why?
My guess is that consensus is a little short for some reasons, how do I
validate this guess? Does the global router list contain everything on the
consensus?

5. More observation on this issue:
For both tor and our tor, when I decrease the size of the network (i.e.
number of relays in the network), the hanging issue resolves itself..

I'll try rebase back to an official release today.

Thanks,
Li.