[tor-dev] Adding one more (optional) step to Trac's ticket work-flow

Isabela isabela at riseup.net
Wed Mar 30 00:00:51 UTC 2016

Hello tor-dev!

tl;dr; we want to add one more step to Trac ticket work-flow called
'merge_ready' - if you don't want to use it you don't need to

During Tor's Dev Meeting in Valencia, the Network Team discussed a code
review process[1] for the team and we concluded that for us a two stage
review process would make things much better for the team.

In order to organize that on our ticket work-flow on Trac, we decided to
add the step 'merge_ready'[2] that would come after either
'needs_review' or 'needs_revision' steps.

For our team, what that will mean is that we have reviewed the code and
believe is ready for Nick to do a second review and merge. The first
review will remove load from Nick and we want to eventually have more
folks helping Nick on the second review as well. But this change alone
will be already a big step.

What does that means for someone working on a ticket that is not part of
Core Tor development flow? Well, if you don't want to use it in your
team or your project flow, you can just ignore it and keep using Trac as
normal.

We are sending this note to make sure folks knows about it before it
happens and of course, to hear any concerns or feedback.

Cheers,
Isabela

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2016WinterDevMeeting/Notes/CodeReviews
[2]
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/pt9FtdJNG_gB_afqayg9dXTJwdDFncgU0HVXJEqmOSr

--
PM at TorProject.org
gpg fingerprint = 8F2A F9B6 D4A1 4D03 FDF1  B298 3224 4994 1506 4C7B