[tor-dev] A few ideas about improved design/modularity in Tor

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Mon Mar 28 10:49:24 UTC 2016

> 2. Add backend abstractions as needed to minimize module coupling. These
>    should be abstractions that are friendly to in- and multi-process
>    implementations.  We will need at least:
>
>    - publish/subscribe{,/acknowledge}.
>
>      (See
>         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publish%E2%80%93subscribe_pattern.
>      The 'acknowledge' abstraction
>      allows the publisher to wait for every subscriber to acknowledge
>      receipt.  More on this in section 4 below.)

Maybe ZeroMQ can do this. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeroMQ

and:

http://zeromq.org/

Question: how are these modules you write about implemented? Do you plan
to make each module a Dll? Will it be possible to only load a Dll if its
functions are needed? I ask this because I currently have Tor running on
my router and much of its functions (hidden services, node, etc.) are
not needed.

Rob.
https://hoevenstein.nl