[tor-dev] How to build a Router that will only allow Tor users

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Mar 20 22:02:13 UTC 2016

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 05:18:16PM +0000, Rusty Bird wrote:
> - moria1   (source 128.31.0.39    vs. consensus 128.31.0.34)
> - longclaw (source 199.254.238.52 vs. consensus 199.254.238.53)

Yes, this is intentional.

In the past, this approach has caused governments who tried to censor
connections to the Tor network to miss these bootstrapping avenues.

It's certainly not a robust trick, but it has few downsides, so I
think it's reasonable to keep it in place.

(It does, every so often, result in a confused researcher who thinks
she has "blocked all the Tor relays", yet is surprised when Tor Browser
bootstraps anyway. To me this presents a good opportunity to increase
understanding of how censorship works and doesn't work.)

--Roger