[tor-dev] HSFETCH fails on basic auth services

Razvan Dragomirescu razvan.dragomirescu at veri.fi
Wed Jun 29 20:14:04 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I seem to have found an issue (bug?) with the controller HSFETCH command -
I can't seem to be able to fetch hidden service descriptors for services
that use basic authentication. Tor appears to want to decrypt the
introduction points for some reason and also fails to look at the
HidServAuth directive. Connections (via SOCKS proxy for instance) to said
service work fine, so Tor is configured correctly, but HSFETCH fails and
Tor outputs this in the logs:

*Jun 29 20:08:53.000 [warn] Failed to parse introduction points. Either the
service has published a corrupt descriptor or you have provided invalid
authorization data.*

*Jun 29 20:08:53.000 [warn] Fetching v2 rendezvous descriptor failed.
Retrying at another directory.*

Is this a known issue? Is there another way to fetch the descriptor of a
hidden service? I really don't want it to be published since I'm rewriting
it anyway, but I need to fetch it somehow. I can use
"PublishHidServDescriptors 0" to stop it from publishing the service at all
but I have no idea how to fetch it from the local cache. Any controller
commands for that?

To summarize - HSFETCH appears to fail for hidden services with basic auth
and I couldn't find a way to obtain the hidden service descriptor from the
hidden service machine itself before publishing. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Thank you,
Razvan

--