[tor-dev] [GSOC16] Fingerprint Central - Status report n°2

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Jun 23 15:19:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016, Pierre Laperdrix wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Here is my second status report for my GSOC project.
> A little reminder that the repo is located on GitHub:
> https://github.com/plaperdr/fp-central

I have looked at this quickly, and the system to define the attribute
tests seems nice. Is there an option at the end of the tests to download
a file containing all the attributes collected?

> 1 - I have progressed faster than I expected in the last two weeks. Here
> is everything that I have done:
> - Storage of fingerprints in a MongoDB database
> - Adding a small API to get statistics on stored variables
> - Adding support of hashed variables for faster stats computation
> - Adding collection of new attributes and support of HTTP headers
> - Adding support of translation with the start of a French version
>
> 2 - I also started development of a page to tell if a user has an
> "acceptable" fingerprint or not (I haven't pushed the code to GitHub
> yet). So far, I'm verifying that the screen resolution is in the correct
> bounds (i.e. not fullscreen) and that there are no plugins in the
> browser. If anyone has any idea that I could implement to help users
> have a less recognizable fingerprint, I'll be happy to add it. I have
> also added steps to follow to help people better configure their browser.

This "acceptable" fingerprint page is a good idea. However, unless I
misunderstood your latest commit, it seems to be done as a separate
thing from the attributes tests. Is there a reason for not using the
collected attributes to check if the fingerprint is acceptable, rather
than reimplementing the same tests separately?

I think one way to do it would be to have a directory with a list
of .json files containing attributes and their values, one file for each
supported version/slider-setting/platform. And if the browser is
matching one of the .json files, then it is considered good. The .json
files would not include attributes such as screen.width or screen.heigh,
but it could include other attributes indicating if they are rounded.