[tor-dev] TUF Repository for Tor Browser

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Jun 21 10:33:13 UTC 2016

meejah:
> carlo von lynX <lynX at time.to.get.psyced.org> writes:
>
>> The README sounds good, but it being implemented in python adds quite
>> a heavy additional dependency.
>
> My understanding is that TUF is two things: a spec, and a reference
> implementation (in Python). I'm sure other implementations would be
> welcome -- and, e.g., Docker Notary is such an implementation (in Go) as
> I understand it.

I've read up on TUF for F-Droid.  Its a good discussion of the issues,
but the TUF software itself is only really applicable in a narrow range
of situations.  For example, its in Python, so that's a no-go for
Android or iOS, and somewhat difficult on Windows.

I've always treated TUF as a nice overview of the issues.  F-Droid has
long implemented most of it, and now we are implementing the remaining
key bits, and a couple of parts just seem like vastly too much effort in
the short or medium term, versus the actual risk.

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556