[tor-dev] getting reliable time-period without a clock

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Tue Jun 21 00:16:15 UTC 2016

Well, the consensus is the ultimate root of trust for the Tor network.
Sample: http://171.25.193.9:443/tor/status-vote/current/consensus

It's a very large ASCII document, and you'd need to hardcode one or
more DirAuth keys. But it has a timestamp in it. You could provide
older consensuses to the smartcard and get it to sign historical data,
but not future ones.

Before choosing the consensus, I would see which DirAuth-signed
document would be best to use. Consensus and microconsensus are two
options. I'm nto sure if there's anything else smaller the DirAuths
sign... MicroDescriptors? (Unsure.)

-tom