[tor-dev] Revisiting prop224 overlap descriptor logic and descriptor lifetimes

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Jun 20 12:47:16 UTC 2016

George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> writes:
>
>> [ text/plain ]
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 03:48:39PM +0300, George Kadianakis wrote:
>>> The main issue for me right now is that I can't recall how this helps with
>>> clock skewed clients, even though that was a big part of our discussion in Montreal.
>>>
>>> Specifically, I think that clients (and HSes) should determine the set of
>>> responsible HSDirs (i.e. the current time period) based on the "valid-after" of
>>> their latest consensus, instead of using their local clock. This way, as long
>>> as the client's skewed clock is good enough to verify the latest consensus, the
>>> client will have a consistent view of the network and SRV (assuming an
>>> honest/updated dirguard). I tried to clarify this a bit in commit 465156d, so
>>> please let me know if it's not a good idea.
>>
>> Interesting idea! I think I like it. You're right that in Montreal
>> we were thinking in terms of client clocks, and we might be able to
>> reduce the problem (both in frequency and in magnitude) by considering
>> the time in the last consensus we have.
>>
>> Another argument in favor of using the last consensus is that we will be
>> picking the "relays that are closest to the right location in the hash
>> ring" out of our last consensus already. (That is not a strong argument
>> in favor though, I think, since in theory there won't be so much churn
>> in a day that all of the relays in our last consensus will become wrong.)
>>
>> All of this said, it seems like you are basing your arguments on some
>> expectations about how clients handle consensuses that have surprising
>> dates in them (surprising either because the client's clock is skewed,
>> or because their directory guard gave them the wrong consensus). How
>> *do* clients handle these situations? If we could get the intended /
>> expected behavior written down, then we would have a better chance of
>> identifying bugs in it that we can then fix.
>>

> I agree that we should get the intended/expected behavior written down!

A few days have passed and I still feel that using the latest consensus
valid_after time is a more robust way for taking decisions on how to perform
the HS protocol, than using the local client clock. After all, the whole Tor
protocol relies on having a good consensus (for HSDirs, SRV, etc.), so you
can't go very far with a bad consensus anyway.

On the subject of clock skewed clients, I opened ticket #19460 with a few
suggestions for improving the handling of consensuses with surprising dates.
In general, I feel that with the #19460 suggestion implemented, the system can
be accomodating towards slightly clock skewed clients both in the forward and
backwards directions.

Also, we have logs in place to warn people that their clocks are ultra skewed
(based on the received consensus date). We also have mechanisms in place to
ensure that we refetch a consensus when the current consensus date is too far
off (see update_consensus_networkstatus_downloads()). Now whether all these
mechanisms and logs work properly in all cases is something we need to test
extensively.

Of course, using the consensus valid_after time is not bulletproof either:
there are various edge cases where this can have bad results. For example,
imagine a world where the real time is 07:00UTC, but Alice is a 10 hours
backwards-skewed client whose local time is 21:00UTC. Imagine that Alice starts
up Tor with an old consensus with valid_after 20:00UTC (because her dirguard
lied, or because Alice had that consensus cached). In this case, Alice will not
realize that the consensus is hella old, and will try to use it. She will then
compute the wrong set of HSDirs, and fail the HS protocol. This case is
plausible in theory but also quite hard to protect against, since both Alice
and her consensus had wrong but convenient times.

All in all, I feel that using the consensus valid_after time for time period
related calculations seems reasonable at this point, but we should do more
testing (ideally automated) as we implement the relevant parts.