[tor-dev] Onionoo: MaxMind AS data - reaching out

twim twim at riseup.net
Sun Jun 19 21:11:09 UTC 2016

Hi nusenu,

> I would do it if you could send me the URL from where you downloaded the
> input file used by onionoo (maxmind page) and date/version (if it
> changed since the statement made above).

As specified here [1], the GeoIP databases shoud be taken from [2] and
[3]. In our case it's only [3].
I don't now the reality of the onionoo.torproject.org, but it should not
differ from INSTALL file.

> It seems they are using the first "descr" line they find as AS name.
>
> Examples:
>
> http://bgp.he.net/AS1759#_whois
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/337B7E307550F48DCDADA7481FA8436B2FCDADA9
>
> http://bgp.he.net/AS8708#_whois
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/64490AC626E728B0BB29DBA3EE1E98DA8982F41C

Wow, nice finding! It looks like it's a bug (or just wrong logic) on the
MaxMind side.

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/onionoo.git/tree/INSTALL
[2]
https://geolite.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/GeoLite2-City-CSV.zip