[tor-dev] We need a new RPM maintainer

Ondrej Mikle ondrej.mikle at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 15:03:21 UTC 2016

On 06/17/2016 12:53 PM, Henry de Valence wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:19:15AM -0400, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 10:06 AM, nusenu <nusenu at openmailbox.org> wrote:
>>> What is the Tor Project's motivation for providing RPMs (instead of
>>> relying on the RPM distro maintainer)?
>>
>> Frankly, I don't know. I don't actually install Tor from packages
>> myself, since I'm nearly always running Tor from master.
>>
>> People who download our RPMs: in what way are they beneficial?
>
> The last time I had occasion to check (around 6 months ago), the official Tor
> Project RPMs were actually worse than the Fedora ones: worse integration with
> Fedora's systemd configuration, no SELinux, and they didn't uninstall cleanly,
> meaning you had to manually clean up permissions issues in order to switch back
> to the Fedora packages.

The uninstaller deletes what it can, but it can't remove /var/lib/tor entirely,
as you'd lose relay keys etc.

Anyway, anyone transitioning to the EPEL/Fedora packages needs to do something
like this _after_ installing the EPEL/Fedora packages:

/bin/chown -R toranon:toranon /var/{lib,log,run}/tor

toranon is the username used by those packages. (My postinstall scripts used to
check for this, but the EPEL/Fedora's doesn't).

Ondrej