[tor-dev] [GSoC] Tails Server - status report 3

segfault segfault at riseup.net
Fri Jun 17 19:18:23 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

this is the third status report on the Tails Server GSoC project.

I had to omit the previous report because personal difficulties were
getting in the way.

So here is what I achieved in the last four weeks:

* Revamp the GUI
  * Replace the status panel with a config panel
  * Add a loading window

* Implement the persistence feature

* Refactor the code

* Many more changes in the code, you can look at my commit messages if
you want more details

* Keep discussing the design of the GUI on the Tails-UX mailing list

The prototype is actually working now. The persistence feature works
without dirty hacks now, because anonym kindly implemented a new feature
in  Tails' persistence (regular files can be bind-mounted now). Because
Tails Server now relies on this feature, it will only work properly in
this patched Tails version. I will integrate Tails Server in this branch
and send a link to a nightly ISO image on tor-dev and tails-dev in the
next few days, so you can test it.

Next up is some more polishing of the GUI and writing a short
documentation to be able to do some initial user tests. And then there
are still a lot of features to implement, like autostarting the
services, onion address regeneration, client authentication (not
necessarily in scope of the GSoC, but I want it anyway), and many more.
And I will have to refactor the code some more.

Cheers!