[tor-dev] Tor Browser and Privoxy

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 23:59:29 UTC 2016

Hi Paulo,

This sounds highly inadvisable to me. Interposing Privoxy between Tor
Browser and Tor will most likely drastically reduce the anonymity
provided by Tor Browser, for multiple reasons:

1. Privoxy filters and modifies the web page in ways that are likely
to be observable to both to visited websites and to third parties,
including exit nodes. These modifications will distinguish you from
most other Tor Browser users who are not using Privoxy. And if you use
any custom Privoxy settings, those settings may make you unique among
Tor users.

2. It will prevent Tor Browser's normal SOCKS5 connection to the Tor
process, which is what Tor Browser uses to ensure a separate Tor
circuit is used for the connection to each website. In other words,
all your website visits will pass through the same Tor circuit,
allowing them to be correlated.

3. From what I understand, Privoxy (at least by default) does a lot of
logging to the disk of your local computer, including the URLs you
visit. Not good for privacy.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Arthur Edelstein