[tor-dev] [GSOC 16] Ahmia status update #1

Ismael R zma at riseup.net
Fri Jun 3 18:41:34 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm working on ahmia.fi, the hidden service search engine and you're
reading status update #1.

During the last two weeks i've been working on several things:

1/ Settle on a new structure for ahmia source code.

The official repository [1] contains all the code related to ahmia. Some
of this code is deprecated (solr is not used anymore), documentation
needed to be updated, so it needed a bit of cleanup anyway.
A structure with two repositories was chosen:
- ahmia-site [2] is going to contain the django website, configuration
to use it in production (apache, nginx, uwsgi) and documentation on how
to get the project running.
- ahmia-crawler [3] is going to contain scrapy bots, configuration +
documentation (elasticsearch, polipo)
I tried to keep all past commits when creating these repositories.

2/ Update documentation

See [2] and [3].

3/ Start to refactor the django project

The django project is going to be composed by two apps:
- search is going to be the search engine frontend + future API endpoints
- trends is going to be the statistics visualization frontend + future
API endpoints
Some logic is also going to move from the website source code to the
indexer part of the search engine (ex: removal of fake/banned domains).
You can see this work on the ahmia-site repository [2].
Note: The trends app is not yet done so it isn't visible online.

4/ Implement continuous integration with travis.CI

Tests are going to be automatically run on travis.CI.
I also consider to display test code coverage with coveralls.io but I
fear about people focusing on improving the coverage percentage at all
cost, which is not very good.
This work is going to be pushed during the week-end.

5/ Start to write a proposal with details on how to improve search

I have yet to write a much more readable document, but here are a couple
ideas:
- Regroup all data related to domains, stats, content into elasticsearch
so when can use it for search or insights
- What about a pagerank-like algorithm to estimate a webpage popularity
instead of tor2web popularity ?
- Improve search with human language thanks to elasticsearch [4]
- Use static boosting with popularity (or pagerank) field [5]
We have a meeting planned tuesday with all ahmia's contributors. I hope
to have a clean proposal by then to discuss it with them.

During the next two weeks, I plan to continue working on the same
things. I want to finish 1/  to 4/ as quickly as possible to start
working on search quality.

See you in two weeks :)
Ismael

[1] https://github.com/ahmia/search