[tor-dev] DescripTor 1.2.0 is released

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Jun 2 16:14:33 UTC 2016

Hi Damian,

On 02/06/16 17:58, Damian Johnson wrote:
> Hi Karsten, congrats on the release! I gotta admit, first thing I
> wondered when I saw this was 'what is DescripTor and why does it
> have a name that will be so easily confused with the documents it
> fetches?'.

Oh, it always had two names, metrics-lib and DescripTor.  We have been
referring to it as DescripTor lately, that's why I used that name in
the announcement.  But it's the same thing.

> Quick peek at the readme seems to indicate this is the DirPort
> fetching capabilities of metrics-lib? Is this an effort to slit
> metrics-lib up into smaller libraries?

No, same thing.  The DirPort fetching in DescripTor/metrics-lib is
actually something that doesn't work so well, which is why CollecTor
uses its own code for that.  There are no plans to split up
metrics-lib at this point.

All the best,
Karsten