[tor-dev] [GSOC16] Fingerprint Central - Status report n°5

Pierre Laperdrix pierre.laperdrix at irisa.fr
Fri Jul 29 07:08:46 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Here is my fifth status report for my GSOC project.
Repository: https://github.com/plaperdr/fp-central
Beta: https://fpcentral.irisa.fr

1 - Support of TBB versions for statistics through tags
I have added the selection of TBB versions for the custom statistics
page. In order to do that, I designed and developed the tag system that
I planned to develop much later for the project. For those who do not
know what tags are, it is a way to classify fingerprints and put them
into different categories. By analyzing collected fingerprints, the
system can assign one or more tags to them.
After several iterations, I think I found a good balance between
expressiveness and simplicity. You can find the documentation on how to
add your own tag to the system here:
https://github.com/plaperdr/fp-central/blob/master/fingerprint/tags/README.md
I have added a command to refresh and recompute all tags in case a new
one is added to the system or if the logic of one tag has been changed.
Right now, the tag system is used to tag each fingerprint with the
corresponding TBB version but it can be used later on for many different
things like identifying the OS or the type of the browser.

2 - Better and more complete custom statistics page.
The custom statistics page is now much more complete than before.
In addition to the already-existing pie chart, I have added an HTML
table which gives the complete list of data from the chosen attributes.
You can sort the data and download it in several different formats. It
is a handy feature if you want to put the fingerprints into a different
software or if you want to copy/paste them for a thorough bug report.
I've pushed the latest updates today to the beta server so that you can
try them right now and send me feedback on them.

My goal for the next two weeks is to iron things out in the beta and fix
bugs. I still need to make sure that only TBB fingerprints are stored in
the database. Feature-wise, it seems that I'm getting near the end on
the list of features I wrote in my proposal. The only real big one that
is left is to have a page to see if your complete TBB fingerprint is
"acceptable" (right now, only several attributes are checked). Finally,
for the final stretch in the second half of august, I'm planning on
completing the documentation and the french localization while making
sure that deployment and updates of the site are as easy as possible.

Have a great week-end,
Pierre