[tor-dev] GreatFire Circumvention Central: tests of speed and stability of circumvention tools in China

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Wed Jul 13 04:25:32 UTC 2016

https://en.greatfire.org/blog/2016/jul/greatfireorg-now-testing-vpn-speed-and-stability-china
https://cc.greatfire.org/en
	"Our newest website, Circumvention Central (CC), aims to provide
	real-time information and data about circumvention solutions
	that work in China. Since 2011, we have been collecting data
	about blocked websites in China and now we will add data about
	the effectiveness of VPNs and other circumvention tools."

They list various VPNs and other tools. Tor is on the list. (This page
has JavaScript charts that aren't working for me in Tor Browser.)
https://cc.greatfire.org/en/provider/Tor

At the moment, these are the figures I see:
		Speed (kbps)	Stability
1. HideMyAss	504 (+39%)	98% (-1%)
2. VyprVPN	445 (−33%)	98% (+11%)
3. FreeBrowser	440 (+13%)	88% (+1%)
4. XX-Net	356 (New)	97%
5. Astrill	294 (−32%)	97% (+1%)
6. Lantern	262 (+15%)	95% (+3%)
7. VPNSecure	259 (New)	87%
8. Psiphon	218 (+6%)	89% (+2%)
9. Ultrasurf	206 (+460%)	86% (−4%)
10. Freegate	188 (−29%)	91% (+1%)
11. PureVPN	151 (−25%)	94% (+1%)
12. Tor		112 (+237%)	96% (+1%)

The test details have interesting values under the "Settings" header:
https://cc.greatfire.org/en/provider/Tor#http-tests
"0", "socks5", "是", "lantern-proxy", "lantern-proxy,no bridge",
"lantern-proxy,meek-arzue", "proxy,no bridge", "lantern-proxy,obfs4",
"obfs4", "否", "meek-arzue", "obfs4,sock5 proxy".

There's a tool on the list I didn't know, XX-Net. Its GitHub page says
"It uses google app engine (GAE) as a proxy server through the
firewall" and "A Reborn GoAgent."
https://github.com/XX-net/XX-Net