[tor-dev] BSc Honor Track Research Topic

Bram van den Heuvel bramvandenheuvel at protonmail.com
Tue Jul 12 21:54:23 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I'm currently an undergraduate student double BSc Applied Mathematics/Computer Science. This year I'll be doing a small (~500 hour) research project as part of my Honor track. I'm looking for a suitable research question I can try to answer, preferrably by using mathematical modeling. To give you an idea what kind of research I was planning to do, I briefly described my current idea below.

I was considering researching path selection, specifically the probability of selecting only faulty/malicious nodes and how this might be improved by including an extra reputation metric. This hypothetical reputation metric would be a "social" like reputation, based on for example real-world connections between people. In the most extreme case, one could choose a path of which all nodes are ran by real-world trusted people.

As there might be a more usefull research question out there, I was wondering whether there are any questions that the Tor Project has that might be answered by using mathematical modelling. I could then consider to try and answer this question in my research project.

Thanks in advance.