[tor-dev] [GSoC] CONIKS for Tor Messenger - status report #3

Huy Vu Quoc huyvq.c633 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:38:43 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I have made some mistakes in my status report #3, about the
registration & verification protocol:

Wrong version:
> The verification protocol could be simplified by letting
> the client send the fingerprint to both registration bot and the twitter handle. Then
> we can do a comparison these two messages for the verification.

Correct version:
The client sends its registration request (by DM) directly to the
registration bot and the bot forwards it to the server. There is no
comparisons during registration, and the client doesn’t be contacting
the key server at all.

Thanks Arlo for correcting me.

We are also discussing on how the client receives the response from
the key server. 2 solutions are:
- Sending the response (i.e., the temporary binding of registering
user) to the client by DM through the registration bot.
- The client could just do a normal lookup for its own value after a
timeout. This way, it could obtain its temporary binding.
It will be updated in my next status report.

Best,
Huy