[tor-dev] [GSoC] Tails Server - status report 4

segfault segfault at riseup.net
Sat Jul 2 00:58:44 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

this is the fourth status report on the Tails Server GSoC project.

First off: There are nightly images of Tails with integrated Tails
Server available for download [1]. Some notes if you want to test it:
- Installation of the first service will take several minutes, because
the APT package lists have to be downloaded
- If you boot the image in a VM, the loading spinners won't spin. I
couldn't yet figure out why.
- The Gobby Service's status does not turn to "stopped", it remains in
"deactivating"

[1]
http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-5688-tails-server/builds/

Here is what I did in the last two weeks:

* Work on the GUI

  * Implement three different approaches to edit the options. Discuss
each of them on the tails-ux mailing list. Start conducting short user
tests to get some data on which approach provides the best UX.

  * Implement a status line (this replaces the loading window I
implemented previously)

  * Group the options

  * Rework the displayed connection info

  * A lot of smaller improvements

* Use stem to create ephemeral hidden services instead of editing torrc

* Implement reset of the onion address

* Make Gobby Server work

* Integrate Tails Server into Tails

* Fix a lot of issues

Next up is (still) writing a short documentation for the upcoming user
tests. Then I will begin to conduct the user tests. Also, the autostart
and client authentication features are still not implemented. And I plan
to include some doxygen-like specification in the code.

Cheers.