[tor-dev] Notes from 3rd Tor proposal reading group [prop250]

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Jan 27 11:30:01 UTC 2016

Hello there,

yesterday we held another reading group on #tor-dev to discuss proposal 250 (Random Number Generation During Tor Voting).
You can find the logs here: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-dev/2016/tor-dev.2016-01-26-15.58.log.html

Here are some code and spec changes that we need to do after discussion with Nick:

Code & spec changes:
- Remove ed25519 keys from code and spec.
- SHA256 -> Keccak
- "SUGGESTION: On 3.1.1, wouldn't it just be easier to sort the R_b in ascending order and use them in HASHED_REVEALS?"
- "Why does REVEAL put the TS first and COMMIT puts it last?  (Still on 4.1.1)"

Spec changes:
- Specify TIMESTAMP better in spec
- Fix base32 commits in proposal
- Specify what happens during SRV generation when there is no previous_SRV
- Remove the XXX in 3.1.1 since it's taken care of
- Document the phase determination logic better.
- Remove MUST paragraph from 3.1.2