[tor-dev] Entry/Exit node selection

Evan d'Entremont evan at evandentremont.com
Mon Jan 18 17:53:47 UTC 2016

What threat is Tor trying to defeat? Region locking or nation states? If
the former, then great, select an exit country, or just use a VPN. If the
latter, perhaps that actual threat profile should be taken into account.

Is there any reason why Tor doesn't select exit nodes which are as close as
possible to the intended host?

If I connect to Tor and request a resource from a server on ISP A, would in
not make sense to enforce an exit node also on ISP A, or if not, as close
as possible?

As well, entry guards should be as close as possible to the user, limiting
the ability of others to log the connection.

In short, it's safer that only my ISP see a connection rather than my ISP,
a backbone provider, the entry guard's ISP, etc. Systems like XKeyscore
wouldn't even see the traffic in this case. It seems that selecting an exit
country may actually be detrimental to anonymity by forcing traffic over
the (monitored) internet backbone.

Evan d'Entremont