[tor-dev] How many exits exit from an IP address different than their OR address? (10.7%)

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:01:03 UTC 2016

On 1/14/16, Virgil Griffith <i at virgil.gr> wrote:
> In our quantifications of relay diversity, knowing the IP addresses that
> traffic exits from is important. Ways to have this information correctly
> reported would be very helpful.

i want to be very clear:
 asking relays to report their public exit IPs in censensus this way
is both misguided and wasteful.

misguided because it won't work as you expect, the right way to check
is to build circuits and see where they exit from. you can do this
yourself!

and wasteful because this is extra information in an already too large
consensus not necessary for or useful to building circuits for Tor
users to achieve privacy.

don't do it!
(unless there is a compelling reason, which i have yet to hear.)

best regards,