[tor-dev] Fwd: Orbot roadmap feedback

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Tue Jan 12 19:33:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

> Nathan Freitas:
> I've got big plans for Orbot in 2016...
> any thoughts on the roadmap below:
>
> More Orbot VPN features including
> better UI for enabling/disabling
> Torouting,

I love the animation when swapping identities but it is challenging to discover.

> blocking specific apps, ports and/or
> hosts, and general

It would be nice to have this in Orbot  instead of Privacy Guard, then it can also be more "network" centric.

> "firewall" or little snitch type features
> within the Orbot VPN

Please yes with a firewall, though, outside applications over Tor, it seems that this would be best implemented at the exit routers.

> OrbotShare: an OnionShare inspired file
> sharing and download manager
> service to enable easy hidden
> service .onion setup and sharing
> (including support for new ephemeral
> onions)

Yes, please.  This could very well be the introduction point to Onion Services for many.

> OrbotRelay/Bridge: improved UI for
> running a bridge or relay from
> within Orbot.

Yes, please.  Same introduction point as above.  In theory, a good interface is one that allows people to teach themselves.

> Creation of LibOrbot module/library for
> use by any app to embed Tor
> into their app

Yes, please.

> Overall improved configuration /
> settings UI to make tuning Orbot a
> better, simpler experience... this is an
> expansion of the new exit country
> selector in Orbot v15.1, but also
> includes managing things like
> network usage and so on.

Yes, please.  It would be great to select each node in a circuit in addition to *just* the country.

> OrbotWear / OrbotTV

Yes, please.

> Some sort of "Pro" or Donation-ware
> version to allow a pay-what-you-can
> concept

Separate versions for the rich and the poor?  You could do like LinkedIn and allow more functionality through paid version and charge those who need more security (;

Wordlife,
Spencer